Need to know anything? We're here to help you get the best out of your holiday in paradise ...
ACTIVITIES ON RAROTONGA
We have a range of recreation equipment for hire (including bikes, snorkel gear, spear guns and surfboards). Or you can just ask Paul, Rebecca or our staff what to do, where to go and how to get there...
ACTIVITIES AT RAROTONGA BACKPACKERS
Every day we organize a different activity for our guests, including regular social evenings around various nightspots on Rarotonga, as well as holding our own barbeques at our Beachfront complex:
RSA Dance Party with G Dubb.
Cheap drinks, nice music, lots of fun.
$7 taxi return trip
Taxi leaves @ 8:30 pm. Min 8 people.
Backpackers BBQ. Delicious local fish, lamb chops, salads, vodka punch. Chef Paul. NZ$18 per person. minimum 10 ppl. Bookings essential @ the office by Tuesday 11:30 am.
Whatever or Rehab Bar.
$7 taxi return trip
Leaves @ 7:30 pm. Min 8 people.
The Island Night @ Staircase. Cheapest Traditional Dancing and Singing night.
NZ$5 admission + NZ$7 taxi (return). Taxi leaves @ 8:30 pm. Min 8 people.
Island Hopping Nite with $10 drop off into Avarua. Drop off in Avarua @ 9pm, pick up @ 2am, minmum 8 ppl.
Morning: Punanga Nui Market (Food and arts and crafts market). Taste local food (ika mata, banana poke, Nu , rukau…), buy a souvenir (pareu), shell necklace, wood carving necklace, Raro t-shirts…
Evening : The Curry Night
8 different curries
NZ$17 pp all you can eat buffet. NZ$7 taxi return trip
Leaves @ 6:30 pm
Min 8 people.
Church service @ 10 am. CICC is the Traditional Christian Church in the Cook Islands. Go left for 600 metres, listen for the ding dongs and look out for the masses of singers waiting to go into the big white limestone building looking for redemption.
THINGS TO DO ANYTIME
- Relax and take photos at “BLACK ROCK BEACH” – Beautiful scenery, 10 min by bus from the Backpackers.
- Relax at Aroa Beach – the best spots for snorkeling is in front of “The Rarotongan Resort”. It is a good beach for swimming and relaxing. Only 20 minutes walk from the Backpackers.
- Sunbathing , swimming, windsurfing or kayaking at Muri Beach.
- Hire snorkel gear @ the office for NZ$10 a day.
- Cycle around the island. It takes only 2 hours. Bicycle hire NZ$ 10 – 24 hours.
9 ACTIVITIES TO DO ON A RAINY DAY!
- Visit the National Museum (NZ$2), the National Library and The University of South Pacific in Avarua. FREE!
- GIVE YOURSELF A MASSAGE!
- GO TO THE GYM! In front of the airport. NZ $ 10 a day.
- Learn how to dance Rarotongan Traditional Dancing. Every Thursday @ 7:30 PM at St Mary’s Catholic Church. FREE!
- Visit The Cultural Village
- Got to the food market (Punanga Nui) on Saturday morning – from 7 am to 12 am.
- Learn how to make an “Ei” (flower garland)
- Learn how to open a “coconut”
Activity Gallery | PHOTO Gallery